Riverstone® Montana natural roof slate
Riverstone® is a little known diamond of natural roofing slate. This signature slate is not actually slate, it is phyllite. Harder, denser and stronger than slate, phyllite is a perfect stone for any design challenge or artistic feature.
Riverstone® is a stunning roofing product that delivers outstanding aesthetics and durability. Subjected to incredible heat and pressure over 560 million years, these geological processes make it harder, denser and stronger than any of the alternatives, including slate. This makes it one of the toughest and longest-lasting roofing materials in the world, and is perfect for when you may have a challenging architectural project to design, or you want that truly prestigious green-grey phyllitic sheen finish.
Rarer than gold
On the plains of South America, between the Pampas and the Andes, SSQ found phyllite – the slate-like architectural stone that’s gone on to become one of the world’s most sought-after roofing, cladding and flooring materials.
It’s extremely rare. But at SSQ, they are the proud owners of one of the world’s few phyllite quarries in La Repressa, Argentina - and it’s from here that they source our Riverstone slate.
Available from stock for next day collection or local delivery within a few days.
The Riverstone ‘Phyllite’ quarry is 1 of only 3 sources known Worldwide that can yield Phyllite type roofing slate making it a truly unique product. To give you a cost / quality comparison, its closest equivalent is another indigenously produced Phyllite in Cornwall, known as ‘Delabole’ and if you were to research their pricing and availability you’ll find their prices to be over double the cost of Riverstone and likely lead times of between 6 and 12 months. However, Riverstone has been tested and proven to even outperform this product (please find attached test comparison document).
Top grade Phyllite has the following advantages over slate, both aesthetic and structural:
- Phyllite has unique inherent mica crystals, which gives the product a unique sheen or lustre, which becomes increasingly evident when exposed to direct sunlight
- Phyllite has deeper and more pronounced dressed edges (tear-back), which gives the product an authentic natural slate look, whilst remaining uniformly, consistent, particularly in the ULTRA grade
- Phyllite is a unique grey (with greenish tinge) colour, whereas 95% of Spanish slates are typically black in colour
- Phyllite is a very dense and hard material, unlike Spanish slate, meaning it is far more durable and resilient, therefore its lifespan is far longer than any slate
- It has the lowest recorded water absorption value of any natural roofing slate, meaning it will resist the growth of lichens and moss, as less water is absorbed by the product, which lichens and moss need to grow.
- It is the level of water absorption that determines the shelf life of any natural roofing slate, so the lower the value, the longer the slate will last and the longer it will retain its original colour, all slates gradually turn white and degrade, this degradation process is known as ‘gypsification’, it is when the water reacts with the carbonate content which forms a white compound called gypsum. Carbonate content in Phyllite, like its water absorption value, is exceptionally low.
If you are looking for a product that will aesthetically make a statement and will last long term there isn’t a better value product in the Market than Riverstone®.